Fall 2017

Department
Microbiology and Cell Science
Course Code
MCB 3020
Professor
Abdolkarim Asghari
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
8/30/2017
Microbiology Lecture 5Exam 1
Bacteria usually .5- 2 um
Glycocalyxcovers exterior of cell. Not every cell has it. Most prokaryotes and Eukaryotes may
have this.
Bacteria Structure:
o Divided into two groups of cellsgram positive and negative
o Only cell wall and membrane is gram positive
o Nam (N-acetylmuramic acid) and NAG(N-acetylglucosamine) are building blocks of
peptidoglycan. Their layers are built up from peptide bridges.
o Peptidoglycan is a polysaccharide that covers some bacteria in where the cell wall is
made up. About 25 of these cover bacteria
o For gram negative, have thinner layer of peptidoglycan. Gram negative has an additional
layer called an outer membrane. Has only 5 layers of peptidoglycan. Gram negative has
an additional membrane to cover cell. Because of this extra layer, it creates a
periplasmic gap (compartment between).
o Lipoprotein, porin protein (like a gate; an additional layer of protection) and periplasmic
space unique to gram negative
o Telchoic acid is unique to gram positive
o Outer membrane has some phospholipids and lipopolysaccharide
o Only gram negative has endotoxincauses damages to the host fever, bleeding,
coughing
o Both gram negative and gram positive have cell wall (made of same thing, cell
membrane, flagellum, peptidoglycan
Property Gram Positive Gram Negative
Color after Gram stain Purple Pink
Peptidoglycan content High Low
Outermembrane Absent Present
Lipopolysaccharide (LPS) Absent Present
Teichoic acid Present Absent
Sensitivity to Penicillin G Easy Difficult
Sensitivity to lysozyme High Low
Cell membrane Yes Yes
Gram staining procedure helps predict other properties
Penicillin and lysozyme damage cell wall
Gram positive more prone to attack of penicillin than gram negative
Cell membrane
o Key barrier between the cell and the outside world. Mainly composed of lipids and
proteins
o Phospholipids made of glycerol, phosphate group and fatty acid (long stretch of
hydrocarbons. Fatty acids are Hydrophobic)
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
8/30/2017 Microbiology Lecture 5—Exam 1 • Bacteria usually .5- 2 um • Glycocalyx—covers exterior of cell. Not every cell has it. Most prokaryotes and Eukaryotes may have this. • Bacteria Structure: o Divided into two groups of cells—gram positive and negative o Only cell wall and membrane is gram positive o Nam (N-acetylmuramic acid) and NAG(N-acetylglucosamine) are building blocks of peptidoglycan. Their layers are built up from peptide bridges. o Peptidoglycan is a polysaccharide that covers some bacteria in where the cell wall is made up. About 25 of these cover bacteria o For gram negative, have thinner layer of peptidoglycan. Gram negative has an additional layer called an outer membrane. Has only 5 layers of peptidoglycan. Gram negative has an additional membrane to cover cell. Because of this extra layer, it creates a periplasmic gap (compartment between). o Lipoprotein, porin protein (like a gate; an additional layer of protection) and periplasmic space unique to gram negative o Telchoic acid is unique to gram positive o Outer membrane has some phospholipids and lipopolysaccharide o Only gram negative has endotoxin—causes damages to the host fever, bleeding, coughing o Both gram negative and gram positive have cell wall (made of same thing, cell membrane, flagellum, peptidoglycan • Property Gram Positive Gram Negative • Color after Gram stain Purple Pink • Peptidoglycan content High Low • Outermembrane Absent Present • Lipopolysaccharide (LPS) Absent Present • Teichoic acid Present Absent • Sensitivity to Penicillin G Easy Difficult • Sensitivity to lysozyme High Low • Cell membrane Yes Yes ❖ Gram staining procedure helps predict other properties ❖ Penicillin and lysozyme damage cell wall ❖ Gram positive more prone to attack of penicillin than gram negative • Cell membrane o Key barrier between the cell and the outside world. Mainly composed of lipids and proteins o Phospholipids made of glycerol, phosphate group and fatty acid (long stretch of hydrocarbons. Fatty acids are Hydrophobic) o Phospholipid structure: Head (glycerol and phosphate) is hydrophilic and tails (fatty acid) are hydrophobic o Sometimes protein sticks out or in wall or runs through whole wall transmembrane protein. o Sugar molecules are sometimes attached to phospholipids and proteins. They act like a receptor; sense info outside o Embedded into cell wall is cholesterol which causes flexibility for cell membrane. Cholesterol may cause arteries to harden. Can also deposit between arteries and hardens it then ruptures and adds to blood pressure • Fluid Mosaic Model of Membrane Structure—phospholipids not solid; not grouped together o Any o Anything with charge cannot just go easily through o Conformational changes—protein 3- dimensional structure will shift and move o A signal can go from outside to inside from transmembrane protein— signal transduction o Lipid bilayer in which proteins float o Peripheral proteins loosely associated with the membrane and easily removed o Integral proteins embedded within the membrane a
More Less
Unlock Document
Start your 2 week free trial

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

Share with your friends

Get 2 friends to sign-up for a free trial as well, and get an additional free week

Next

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit