MCB 3020 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Membrane Technology, Pseudopeptidoglycan, Yeast Extract

68 views3 pages

Document Summary

When conditions become harsh, they become endospore: spore is produced by fungi for reproduction, plasmids can be shared via conjugation, peptidoglycan is unique to bacteria. Life is based on the universal principle of specific interaction of molecules with each. Interacting molecules interact as pairs are called ligand and receptor. Ligand and receptor where a lot of things come to life. Sugars are part of the carbohydrate;they act like receptors on surface of cell: glycolipids (sugar attached to lipids) and glycoproteins (sugar attached to proteins) act like receptors. Culture media: most contain all the nutrients required by the organism for growth, defined or synthetic all components are known, complex pla(cid:374)t, a(cid:374)i(cid:373)al or (cid:455)east e(cid:454)tract. No specific i(cid:374)gredie(cid:374)t; just a protei(cid:374) i(cid:374) ge(cid:374)eral. Do(cid:374)"t know all components: selective only one group grows. Three types of reactions: alpha, beta (completely destroys or lysis cells) and. Functional type enriched and differential: eosin methylene blue (emb) agar.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers