Class Notes (807,344)
United States (312,496)
POT 2002 (5)
All (4)

Introduction to Political Theory [COMPLETE NOTES PART 3] - got a 4.0 in the course!

7 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Florida
Political Science
POT 2002

POT Rousseau 3/11 I. Rousseau’s Life and Times a. Disputed agreement as to why he is so important i. Many consider him to be the leading figure of the Enlightenment 1. Rely on empiricism, critical reasoning to challenge and apply them to  changing existing institutions “dare to know” 2. Intellectual father of the French Revolution; period in which France is  transformed.  Important event of political modernity ii. Others consider him the first great author of Romanticism, which is the response  to the enlightenment 1. Rousseau put more emphasis on the passions and discounted the  centrality of reason iii. Others consider him a totalitarian thinker iv. Others consider him an early communist v. Resuscitator of the great tradition of democracy traceable back to the Athenian  experiment vi. Believes progress of arts and sciences has corrupted and destroyed progress of  civilization vii. Merciless self inventory with no moral tale, confesses love affair with married  aristocratic woman, affair with Parisian maid II. Rousseau’s Method in A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality a. Must strip away social assumptions of human character; believes Hobbes and Locke has  smuggled some of these assumptions into the nature of the original man, whilst they  actually developed over time. b. Instead, must engage in hypothetical reasoning and conjecture rather than specific  historical development i. History puts forward a narrative 1. Rousseau: there is no such thing as objective history.  Those who write  history write from a particular perspective and write about certain facts.  History is argument. 2. Rousseau: there is no group of people that have been totally untouched;  there’s been too much interdependence and intersubjectivity.   Therefore, we have to make conjectures and assumptions rather than  rely on history books, whose interests are articulated from a certain  perspective a. Minimal number of assumptions of human character III. Rousseau’s State of nature a. Physical: atomistic individuals i. Lack of interaction among human beings in the state of nature ii. The individuals themselves are “most advantageously organized of any  [animals]”.  Relatively durable, could destroy civilized men who are weakened  by technology and indolence and diseases that are only the effects themselves of  civilization iii. Work, but only when necessary since there are relatively few wants and material  desires due to isolation…no conditions for comparison iv. No language; evolved under multiplicity of human interactions – emergent  property over long periods of socialized interaction v. No families; come at a later stage. vi. Limited needs, wants, desires, rudimentary social skills, inability to articulate b. Healthy self­regard/concern [amour de soi] i. No morality because morality emerges out of codified legalities that emerges out  of political society.  There is no good and evil in the state of nature ii. 71­72:  no knowledge of goodness or virtue does not necessarily make a man  wicked. Human beings do not default to evil.  Rejects Hobbes’ assumption that  he imputes into the state of nature.  Rather, human beings have features of  character that mitigate against reprehensible behavior 1. Healthy, intuitive self respect.  Insists in primordial state that humans  have compassion for one another; a kind of natural feeling which  moderates the healthy self love of individuals and contributes to the  preservation of the whole species.   c. Compassion i. A disposition suitable to mankind; doesn’t require reflection or deep analytical  thought; hardwired into human nature.  You can even observe other animals  behaving with compassion. ii. You feel it as long as it hasn’t been corrupted out of you.   1. Must be the stronger.  Identification must have been more perfect in  state of nature than state of reason.   2. It is reason which turns man’s mind back upon itself and divides him  from everything that could disturb.  Philosophy isolates him. Populace  flocks together while the wise man prudently stays back. 3. It is the common folk who most intuitively feel passion and desire to  help human beings in distress.  It is reason which later allows  philosopher to NOT be compassionate, NOT intervene Rousseau 3/13/14 I. Brief Recap of Where we Ended Last Time a. There are 2 social contracts: the fraudulent, first social contract that emerges between  individuals whose characters have become corrupt b. Atomistic individuals: isolated people.  Tries to strip away social assumptions of  human character that get imputed to human beings after long periods of interactions. i. Physically tough, durable.  No capacity for speech or complex thought.  Few  material possessions, no desire for them.  No families ii. No love; distinguishes between physical and moral.   iii. Pg 79­80: let us conclude that man in the state of nature (without industry)  iv. We should assume people are naturally evil because they live in the absence  of morality.  No reason or desire for conflict.   II. Outlining the origin of Social Inequality a. “Perfectibility” (the Desire for Self­Improvement) i. Desire for self improvement, bettering one’s condition 1. Makes our lives more materially rich; changes material lot  appreciably b. Social Interdependence and the Rise to Private Property i. Leads us to cooperate as interactions increase.  Development of language,  interdependence 1. Tied to perfectibility: some things we can’t do alone that we’d like  to do.  Creating division of labor which enables us to fundamentally  alter the material circumstances in our lives in a beneficial way 2. Agriculture makes people more sedentary.  Specialization of tasks to  achieve things that we are incapable of achieving alone.  Means that  we become more social and reliant.   ii. Simultaneous psychological transformation that accompanies this  development c. From Amour de soi to Amour Propre (Vanity) i. Pg 73 footnote.  Love of self is natural feeling which; guided by reason and  modified by passion, creates virtue.  Amor propre causes mutual damage and  is real source of the “sense of honor” ii. Pg 90: the difference between seeming and being iii. Inequalities are irrelevant in the absence of social interaction.  They become  important when our notion of self­worth is moved from an internal measure  to an external measure.  We measure ourselves to others, and our judgment of  ourselves is derived from comparisons and regard of other people.  Beauty,  strength, intelligence, and private property matters. Private property becomes  pernicious. 1. Private property becomes the means of keeping score.  Material  assessment becomes the moral assessment.  Becomes a measure in  the eyes of other people of your worth, and thus a measure in your  own eyes of your own worth as a human being. 2. Things ought to be emblematized to be socially visible a. If you can’t succeed by legitimate means, do so by  nefarious means.  Accrue the things that will enable you. b. Transition also brings corruptive psychological  transformation/process c. “savage and civilized man differ so much…what  constitutes the supreme happiness of one will reduce the  other to despair”.  Even posthumous fame.  Social man  lives outside himself in the opinion of others, and receives  consciousness of his own existence from judgment of  others concerns. Externalization of our conception of self  worth.  Incapable of forming own opinions because you  don’t have an identity d. Culmination: frivolous and deceitful appearance. “honor  without virtue, reason without wisdom, pleasure without  happiness” 3. Man is naturally good, but becomes wicked/evil as amour de soi  turns to amour de propre.  Blatant disregard for wellbeing of other  human beings; man finds his prophet/advantage in the misfortune of  others.  Loss of one almost always constitutes the prosperity of  another. 4. Man gains skill by injuring  iv. Those who have benefitted most by the system of private property ought to  preserve these circumstances 1. Social contract emerges out of these last stages of state of nature 2. Vanity and private property mutually reinforce one another III. Donning Our Chains: The First (or Fraudulent) Social Contract a. State of war: unlike other thinkers, not because of how things were originally, but of  how they developed.   b. Conflict isn’t result of original character, but of characters that we have become i. Culmination of social contract: pg 99: rich knew that their property was  founded by nefarious and false titles, so if somebody coms and takes it from  them, they have no legitimate claim.  Therefore, they ought to legally codify  such accruement as them.  Dangerous world for the rich because their private  property is not protected prior to the institution of civil society.   1. Pg 98: urged by necessity, rich man conceived plan to make his  adversaries his allies and employ them favorably…restrain the  ambitious and institute rules of justice and peace to which others are  obliged to conform. Subject equally the powerful and weak to  observance of reciprocal obligation 2. Presented as if it is equally beneficial to the rich and poor alike,  although it often benefits the rich asymmetrically to the detriment of  the poor, who are prohibited from taking their stuff…codifies set of  social relationships that benefit them at the expense of another ii. Why the poor go along with it: 1. Because they want to be like the rich, and are driven by the same set  of motives to accrue private property to appear to have an identity
More Less

Related notes for POT 2002

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.