Class Notes (808,038)
United States (312,889)
POT 2002 (5)
All (4)

Introduction to Political Theory [COMPLETE NOTES PART 4] - got a 4.0 in the course!

8 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Florida
Political Science
POT 2002

POT 2002 Locke – Second Treatise of Government 2.13.14 I. John Locke in Historical Context a. Reformation across Europe, Luther’s criticisms of the Catholic Church b. The Wars of Truth…wars over religion in Europe, both sides claimed to  have ontological servitude.  Who has principle access to the truth, and how  should it be embodied institutionally? c. Here are the problems that ultimately confront Locke d. Reformation puts political and religious dimensions into place  e. Oscillation of thought predicated on succession of rulers f. James I argues of divine right rule; the power of the king really comes  from Gd and is absolute.  Consultation with Parliament merely a formality.  i. James understands that some people believe the house of lords and  house of commons  [parliament], so he defends his stance  theoretically but doesn’t try to implement it institutionally ii. His son, Charles I, presses the claim.   g. Puritans wanted to purify England of remaining Catholic sentiment. h. Cromwell rules during interregnum period after Charles’ execution i. Shaftesbury and Locke try to craft legislation called the exclusion bill, that  would prevent Catholic James from becoming king.   i. Exclusion bill fails, James becomes first catholic king of Ireland  since Henry VIII…eventually pushed out by William of Orange,  who marries Mary, and they restore Protestantism II. Some Ruminations on Locke and “Liberalism” a. Lockean Liberalism: Politics as Artificial and Non­Teleological i. The state of nature 1. Justification of revolution against James II.  Limited  authority of kings, denial of divine right rule.   2. However, it was found to be written during the time of the  exclusion crisis in which the question was how much  power does the king and parliament have?  What is political  legitimacy? 3. Written to specify legitimate boundaries of political power.   If somebody tries to claim that authority, you are compelled  to resist; must engage in revolution against political  absolutism.  Justifies killing of the king 4. What are the appropriate aims/goals of political power? 5. Liberalism: the idea of the political world is artificial a. Unlike the ancients, who believed that politics is  natural b. Locke radically breaks with this conception.  There  was a time where there was no political world [the  state of nature] and politics emerged out of this  time.  Before civil/political society is created ii. The social contract 1. Mechanism of free and voluntary agreement whereby we  leave the state of nature and create civil/political society iii. Natural law 1. Gd’s law, series of moral precepts that humans can  understand with their reason, and use that reason to  construct a political world based on those principles.  These  principles are permanently ingrained.  Provides upper limit,  or check, of what those in political power can do.  Natural  law cannot be violated. b. The end of Summum Bonum [the highest good] i. Natural Rights 1. Rival claimants to the truth give rise to a variety of  different conceptions of Summum Bonum…collapses  because there is no single institutional purveyor of the  highest good. 2. Politics becomes nontheological  a. You don’t realize your essence/purpose/being as a  human through political activity b. Politics is at best a way of keeping people from  killing one another; religion in this sense can be  highly dangerous. c. Opens the door to secularism d. Under natural law, you have certain natural rights  that the state cannot legitimately violate.  If it does,  then according to natural law, you have a right to  resist, and the state can’t apply some particular  conception of that the good life is and make all of  its citizens adhere to it; all it can do is PROTECT  your natural rights without overstepping boundaries. e. Keep the peace ii. Property 1. The goal is to defend property. 2. Life, liberty, and the state a. You, how you express yourself, and your things c. The use and abuse of the word “liberal” i. Locke’s ideas enshrined in the principles of the American founding ii. Liberalism changes over time.  What Locke inaugurates is now  called classical liberalism. 1. 19  and 20  century saw rejection of classical liberalism.   2. FDR , LBJ, and progressives proponents of modern  liberalism [new deal and great society].  Obama is inheritor  of modern liberal tradition, uses this to rectify the problems  with classical liberalism.  3. Unmodified term  4. Does classical liberalism create a sense of difficulties that  have to be modified?  Many modern conservatives are  classical liberals!  Mostly libertarians, however. 2/18/14 I. Locke’s “state of nature” a. Definition of political power i. A right of making laws to regulate property in a way  that serves the public good b. Law of nature i. Within the state of nature, paragraph 6.  State of  liberty, but not license.  Moral law governs state of  nature that is discovered by reason.  This is also  Gd’s law.  Unlike Plato and Machiavelli, Locke is a  deeply Christian thinker.  All humans have a  capacity for reason, can discover substantive  content.   ii. People know it, but for various reasons, are going to  violate it c. Locke’s manifold conception of property i. Not just material objects ii. Lives, liberties, states  iii. Since everyone has property in the person, there is  nobody who is not a property owner II. Locke and the Emergence of Market society: a defense of  material, property, inequality a. God’s intentions i. You can go as far as to kill the person, and the rest  of the community can step in, too.   ii. Social, characterized by human interactions iii. Intentions we can understand through the use of our  reason.  God gave the world to all men in common,  but did not intend for it to remain common.  Gave it  to the use of the industrious and rational, and  commanded them to labor on it iv. Accumulate private property and take it out of  commons.  Rationality entwined to willingness to  follow Gd’s will and collecting private property.   The more of it you have, the more industrial and  rational you are.   1. When you hitch branch of organized religion  with emerging world power b. Labor theory of material property and the spoilage  limitation i. Defends inequality and property as conducive to the  common good ii. Mixing your labor with things previously unowned  is what makes things you private property…i.e.  agriculture “improvement of the land” iii. There’s an upper limit to how much private property  you can accrue like this, which is when it spoils.  If  they begin to spoil, then other people have a right to  them.   c. Money i. Allows us to get around the spoilage limitation d. The labor theory of value i. Central to Locke’s defense – inequality  ii. Don’t just make it your property, but increase its  value.  Once the products are put into commercial  exchange, everybody benefits.  Not all benefit  equally, but all benefit extraordinarily iii. Contractual relationship results in wages…property  comes back to owner iv. Trickle down economics have implications for all  societies e. Exchange, consequence, and empire i. When you engage in comparison, poorest day  laborer in England is better off than the kings of the  Native Americans, because they don’t improve the  land f. Money and problems i. After the institution of money and wage labor, the  poor also benefit because they can take their wages  and buy goods and services.   ii. Purpose of political power has to be circumscribed  by its service to the public good.  Not the province  of government to reduce material property  inequality iii. But also has enormous consequences outside of  England and Europe. iv. Native Americans either lack the rational or  productivity to do Gd’s will.  Industrious and  rational English believe that THEY own it and are  enti
More Less

Related notes for POT 2002

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.