CBIO 3400 Lecture 4: CBIO 3400 3:2
This preview shows page 1. to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Lecture 4- Outside of Class Lecture
• Explain the structure and function of the ER, Golgi and lysosomes
• Describe the dynamic nature of these organelles
Endoplasmic reticulum structure and function
• ER is located near the nucleus
• Made of cisternae
o Connected tubules and flattened sacs
• Forms a network of interconnected membranous structures
o Comprised up to 50% of cell membranes
• The ER is a 3D network.
• The ER is a very dynamic organelle.
Rough ER functions
*Rough ER is also involved in membrane synthesis.
• Vesicular transport
o “Gatekeeper” role
Smooth ER functions
• Lipid synthesis
• Drug detoxification
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version