FHCE 3200 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Trulia, Zillow

32 views1 pages
9/24/2017 Reading questions 3 Hiren Patel
1. Sometimes the apartment of your dreams may be unaffordable. Many financial planning experts
recommend that in these situations you should find a roommate to help offset rental expenses. What is
your opinion on the benefits and disadvantages associated with having a roommate? Share your opinion
ad respod to other studets’ disussio posts; reah a olusio o hether ou ill or ill ot look
for a roommate now and after you graduate.
Off the back, the most obvious advantage is that they share half the rent, which can relieve a lot
of pressure depending on the type of area you live in. The downside of your roommate paying half the
ret eas half the spae. Aother doside is ou hae less pria, ut ith that eas ou o’t e
lonely and someone to do things during the weekend and what not. Although there are shared
responsibilities, you never know how clean and what not the other person is, that is a risk you must take
unless, you handpick your roommate you know well. With that being said, I ko for a fat I o’t lie
ith a rooate eause I ill hae a house i hih  parets ill lie i or I’ll lie  self ith 
SO.
2. Think of where you want to live after you graduate. How much do houses in that community cost?
(Search real estate websites such as Zillow or Trulia to see the selling prices for houses available.) How
much would it cost to rent a similar house in that community? (Use Craigslist or a similar rental website.)
Net, use the Ne York Ties’ Ret or Bu Calulator to get a recommendation on whether to rent or
buy (you will have to make assumptions about, for example, how long you plan to stay in that
community). What was that recommendation? Why do you agree or disagree with it?
After I graduate I want to live in an urban area and typically the houses cost around $350000.
The price to rent houses that are similar is approximately $1300, the number of bedrooms may vary.
The recommendation was to rent, however, I both agree and disagree with this. I can only agree to this
if there are lots of other ariales I do’t ko aout. I would want to buy a house If I knew the
longevity of my job and I knew for sure I was going to be at that house for at least 15 years. With that
being said I would weigh my decision on whether I know all the details.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 1 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Off the back, the most obvious advantage is that they share half the rent, which can relieve a lot: sometimes the apartment of your dreams may be unaffordable. Many financial planning experts recommend that in these situations you should find a roommate to help offset rental expenses. The downside of your roommate paying half the re(cid:374)t (cid:373)ea(cid:374)s half the spa(cid:272)e. a(cid:374)other do(cid:449)(cid:374)side is (cid:455)ou ha(cid:448)e less pri(cid:448)a(cid:272)(cid:455), (cid:271)ut (cid:449)ith that (cid:373)ea(cid:374)s (cid:455)ou (cid:449)o(cid:374)"t (cid:271)e lonely and someone to do things during the weekend and what not. Although there are shared responsibilities, you never know how clean and what not the other person is, that is a risk you must take unless, you handpick your roommate you know well. With that being said, i k(cid:374)o(cid:449) for a fa(cid:272)t i (cid:449)o(cid:374)"t li(cid:448)e (cid:449)ith a roo(cid:373)(cid:373)ate (cid:271)e(cid:272)ause i (cid:449)ill ha(cid:448)e a house i(cid:374) (cid:449)hi(cid:272)h (cid:373)(cid:455) pare(cid:374)ts (cid:449)ill li(cid:448)e i(cid:374) or i"ll li(cid:448)e (cid:271)(cid:455) (cid:373)(cid:455)self (cid:449)ith (cid:373)(cid:455)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers