HIST 2112 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Agricultural Adjustment Act, Franklin D. Roosevelt, New Deal

60 views2 pages
5 May 2018
Department
Course
Professor
History 2110
Essay
Dear President Roosevelt,
I am a mother, a wife, a human being. My husband and I are farmers and we work
part time in the labor force because being a farmer is not enough to provide for me and my
family. I have 4 beautiful and young daughters. Years back during the Great Depression, my
family and I was faced with the most frightening collapse ever. I have always been in the
labor force because our of financial situation but I have always done everything to prevent
sending my daughters into the labor force no matter how poor we are. However, I had no
choice but to send my young daughters into the labor force in order to survive. (American
Yawp, The Livid Experience of the Great Depression) Then, a miracle happened. I will never
forget the day you saved my family’s life. I had to write you a letter thanking you for saving
my life and giving me another chance at life.
After you enacted the Agricultural Adjustment Administration, our family was saved.
(American Yawp, Franklin Delano Roosevelt and the First New Deal) The Agricultural
Adjustment Administration offered us cash incentives to limit our crop supply in order to
decrease supply. Because of this program, my family are being paid higher wages and much
more flexible hours. My daughters no longer have to work, and we are allowed to unionize!
Because of the new AAA program, our farm work decreased but we still have enough money
to survive and be happy. At first, I was hesitant on the government program because it
sounded too good to be true. If I agreed to limit my crop production, I would get money from
the government. I was close to being evicted from my house but thankfully, you swooped in
and saved my life.
However, I know that the AAA is destroying many lives as well. After you enforced
relief programs, many people are suffering. They do not have money to buy food and their
children have nothing to wear. (Letters to Roosevelt, 5) I heard from my neighbor that some
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

I am a mother, a wife, a human being. My husband and i are farmers and we work part time in the labor force because being a farmer is not enough to provide for me and my family. Years back during the great depression, my family and i was faced with the most frightening collapse ever. I have always been in the labor force because our of financial situation but i have always done everything to prevent sending my daughters into the labor force no matter how poor we are. However, i had no choice but to send my young daughters into the labor force in order to survive. (american. Yawp, the livid experience of the great depression) then, a miracle happened. I will never forget the day you saved my family"s life. I had to write you a letter thanking you for saving my life and giving me another chance at life.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers