WMST 2010 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Jeff Lorber
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
The Social Construction of Gender 9/8/16 3:49 PM
Night To His Day
• 1. Where do you look for an article’s argument?
o In the introduction, conclusion or title.
• 2. What is Lorber’s Argument?
o “Gender is so pervasive that in our society we assume it is
bred into our genes”
o “Yet gender, like culture, is a human production that depends
on everyone constantly ‘doing gender’”
• 3. Evidence to support her claim
o Baby on public transportation
“Gender construction starts with assignment to a sex category on the basis
of what the genitalia look like at birth” (Lorber 14)
• 1. What terms are used to reference the sexed body?
o Presence/absence of a penis, breasts, hair.
• “One of the major ways that human beings organized their lives”
• Gender has meaning, meaning has value (meaning ßà value)
o Change, time and culture
• “Is a process of creating distinguishable social statuses for the
assignment of rights and responsibilities” (15)
• Gender is one of those things everyone thinks they understand, but
most people don’t. GENDER ISN’T BINARY.
• Gender Bread Person
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version