SOC 130 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Marcel Mauss, Thorstein Veblen, Conspicuous Consumption

36 views4 pages

Document Summary

If i give you something, i expect something in return: all acts are transactional, concept 1: consumption, two senses of the term b. Buying food, fuel, tools: food consumption (theory, why do people eat what they do, functional perspective b. i. What the environment permits appropriate amounts of c. interpretivist / semiotic perspective c. i. Thanksgiving dinner vs workday dinner: cultural relativist perspective d. i. Combination of ecology and unique historical experiences (think boas"s. Historical particularism: modes of consumption, continuum between minimalism and consumerism, minimalism (do not alter their environment) b. i. b. ii. Drives expansion (and extension, globalism, colonialism: consequences of consumerism, human consumption in the past 50 years is equivalent to what was consumed by all previous generations in human history, costs of consumerism b. i. b. ii. Depersonalization exchange: what drives minimalism, exists among foragers, pastoralists and horticulturalists a. i. a. ii. Limited in your ability to alter the environment: what do ecological constraints do? a.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers