Anthropology
Course
ANTH 103
Professor
Govindrajan
Semester
Spring

Description
ANTH LECTURE NOTES 3 1/27/14 1. Reflexivity in Anthropology before Reflexive Anthropology a. Reflexivity i. An awareness of the effect that anthropologists themselves have on  their research ii. An acknowledgement that people are ‘contextualized’ persons 1. Basically their background could affect their point of view  on their research (a different culture) iii. Important to tell what people are based on the context iv. From the 1960’s onwards reflexivity was becoming a concern b. 19  Century Anthropology  i. Armchair anthropologist 1. white men in America at home would write anthropology  reports  a. didn’t collect data themselves but based research on  native logs 2. Data collection was unimportant 3. The task of the anthropologist was compilation,  organization, and classification 4. Objectivity was a major concern; personal ideas or opinions  were considered tainting c. The evolutionists­ Tyler and Morgan i. Evolutionists studied stages of human development 1. Were evolutionists that believed some human society was  still progressing from primitive to civilized ii. Primitive societies represented a stage of development behind the  stage reached by western civilized humans 1. People who were originally considered primitive were final  termed to be civilized iii. This sequence from savagery to barbarism to civilization has been  historically true of the entire human family (Morgan) d. Why was the 9  cent
More Less

Related notes for ANTH 103

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit