Anthropology
Course
ANTH 103
Professor
Govindrajan
Semester
Spring

Description
ANTH Lecture Notes 5 1. What gets lost in Turners assessment of Muchona a. Turner Portrayed Muchona as an indigenous anthropologist (Clifford) b. Presumes too much of an identification with a local culture c. Privileges the rual assistant or informant d. Lynn Schumaker­ Africanizing Anthropology­ prefers the use of the term  intellectual 2. Uma Adang – Anna Tsing a. Counters the impression that the marginal are happy in their marginality i. Uma Adang struggles to counter her marginality b. Uma Adan addresses a wider audience through Tsing i. Tied communicating with government ii. Approached Anna Tsing and said you need me as much as I need  you c. Uma Adang goes further than most in creating new forms of speech, new  regional positioning, new local and global histories 3. How do we manifest the collaborative nature of ethnography a. Lengthy and regular use of quotations b. A radical polyphony­ multiple voices throughout text i. Using locals for information c. Being honest 4. Holistic View – Cloffford Geertz and the Balinese cockfight a. The cockfight is emblematic/ representative of the Balinese worldview as  a whole b. Participant observation is backed up by prior historical and literary  research c. Geertz believes cockfights are a integral part of Balinese cultural 5. The symbolism of cocks and cockfighting a. The deep psychological identification of Balinese men with their cocks the  double symbolism of the cock i. They are symbolic expressions of their owners self ii. They also are expressions of what Balinese regard as the direct  inversion of human sttaus – animality iii. The creative power of aroused masculinity and the destructive  power of loosened animality
More Less

Related notes for ANTH 103

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit