Astronomy Lecture 2 8/28/13
Celestial Sphere and the Motions of Stars on the Sky
• Zenith The highest point in the sky
• Meridian The line through the sky that runs through the north point through the
zenith to the south point
• Celestial Poles can see north celestial pole and not the south in Champaign. The
pole of the Earth projected straight through the celestial sphere. Polaris is close to
o Stars move on celestial poles
Move from east to west
• Circumpolar stars stars that seem to circle the pole. Never rise and never set.
Stars change based on where you are on Earth. Latitude determines what stars are
in the celestial pole.
o Includes Polaris, little dipper, big dipper, Casio pia
• Celestial Sphere the imaginary sphere created by the stars in the sky
o Has 88 different constellations