Astronomy
Course
ASTR 100
Professor
Govindrajan
Semester
Fall

Description
Astronomy Lecture 4 9/3/13 MOON 1. Orbit and Phases of the Moon a. Periods i. Sidereal­ 27.3 Days (earth days) 1. Relative to the stars the amount of time the moon takes to  go around in a full circle relative to the stars ii. Synodic ­29.5 Days (earth days) 1. One full moon to the next full moon iii. These are different because the earth moves around the sun so for  the moon to get back to full it must take a few extra days to return  to the exact same spot in relation to the earth b. Moon shines by reflected sunlight i. 50% of moon is always lit ii. Phases determined by fraction we can se c. The moon will be found in the plane of the ecliptic along with the zodiac  constellations i. Moon drifts from west to east about 13 minutes every night along  the zodiac constellations/ecliptic d. Moons orbit is tilted about 5 degrees e. Moon is in synchronized rotation with the earth i. One side of the moon is always facing the earth ii. The moon rotates on i
More Less

Related notes for ASTR 100

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit