Astronomy
Course
ASTR 100
Professor
Govindrajan
Semester
Fall

Description
Astronomy Lecture 5 9/6/13 GREEK & RENNAISSANCE ASTRONOMY 1. Greeks a. Aristotle­ 350 BC i. Earth is round ii. 4 basic elements; air, water, earth, fire  iii. Said earth was fixed at center of the universe iv. Said the stars in the heavens never changed v. Celestial sphere is crystalline 1. Stars are little lights on the sphere vi. Views were adopted as the truth by the Holy Roman Empire b. Hipparchus­ 140 BC i. Cataloged stars, made the first atlas and estimated the brightness of  the stars 1. Named stars by their position in mythological descriptions 2. Described brightness of magnitude (1­6 ) th a. 1= brightest stars ii. Discovered precession 1. Found earlier descriptions of what star was at the rotational  pole of the earth. iii. Predicted ellipses iv. Used parallax to determine the distance to the moon c. PARALLAX­ Used by Hipparchus, the relative motion of a foreground  object relative to a more distant fixed object d. Retrograde M
More Less

Related notes for ASTR 100

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit