Astronomy
Course
ASTR 100
Professor
Govindrajan
Semester
Fall

Description
Astronomy Lecture 6 9/9/13 Renaissance Science (CONT) 1. Tycho Brahe (1600) a. Key contribution to astronomy was that he determined accurate positions  th of stars and planets in skies to within 2 arc minutes (1/15  diameter of the  moon)­ most accurate i. Observed the skies from the Island of Hven ii. Used an instrument using two sticks and measuring the angle  between the stick looking at Polaris and the stick looking at  another object in the sky b. Saw no parallax for a come and a nova i. Nova=new star c. Tracked the position of all planets but especially mars d. Model of the universe: Earth at center e. Hired Kepler as an assistant 2. Kepler (1610) a. Started as a math teacher b. Hired by Brahe in 1601 c. Developed 3 laws (1609­1618) First two in first year i. Orbits of planets are ellipses 1. Sun is at one foci 2. As eccentricity approaches 0 get closer to being a circle ii. Planets sweep out equal area in equal time 1. Perihelion­ where planet is closest to the sun 2. Aphelion­
More Less

Related notes for ASTR 100

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit