Astronomy
Course
ASTR 100
Professor
Govindrajan
Semester
Fall

Description
ASTRONOMY LECTURE 14 9/27/13 EARTH & MOON Our Earth as a Planet 1. Comparisons between planets our Earth a. Mass 1/3,000,000 Sun b. Mean Density = 5520 kg/m^3 c. Atmosphere 78% N2 (nitrogen gas), 21% O2 (oxygen gas), 1% other  (mostly argon) d. Albedo (reflectivity) = 37% e. Magnetic field­ modest (.3 G) f. One Moon  2. Tidal Interaction: Earth & Moon a. Tides are created by Sun & Moon b. Friction between water and ocean floors cause the tidal bulge to lead c. Whenever the moon is off to the right i. Tidal bulge­ elongated configuration (bulge) because earth goes in  direction of the moon ii. As the Earth rotates on it’s axis friction between water and ocean  floor creates a bulge iii. Moon feels extra 10 degree gravitational pull iv. Moon speeds up and gets a bigger radius d. Moon is accelerated by the leading bulge causing it to move away from  Earth at 3.8 cm per year i. Caused by the bulge in the tides pulling the moon forward at a  faster rate causing it to move farther away e. Earths rotating is slowing down: rotation period used to be 6 to 8 hours,  now it is 24 hours i. Caused by the friction between Earth and its oceans 3. Atmosphere of Earth rd a. Current atmosphere is 3  we have had i. 2  atmosphere was dominated by CO2 b. Current atmosphere is dominated by 78% nitrogen and 21 % oxygen c. Clouds consist of water vapor d. Ozone (O3) depletion primarily by CFCs: Chlorofluorocarbons i. Forms very high in the earths atmosphere ii. Oxygen from lower levels rises and the UV rays break up th
More Less

Related notes for ASTR 100

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit