Astronomy
Course
ASTR 100
Professor
Govindrajan
Semester
Fall

Description
Astronomy Lecture 41 12/9/13 Cosmology Part III 1. NASASatellite COBE a. Cosmic Background Explorer = COBE b. COBE results i. The CMB emits a perfect 2.73 Kelvin blackbody spectrum ii. The CMB shows tiny fluctuations of 1:10,000 2. Prediction Cosmic Nucleosynthesis a. Astronomers/physicists explained recombination at T= 3,000 K when the Universe was 379,000 yrs old, so how about… b. Going back in time to T = 15 Million K when the Universe was 3 minutes old: nucleosynthesis i. *Nucleosynthesis-The synthesis of the elements* c. Original hydrogen burns to helium (25%) and other elements like deuterium and lithium d. Our water contains one deuterium atom for every 10,000 hydrogen atoms (0.01%) a clear prediction e. Steven Weinberg’s book: The First Three Minutes 3. Balance of Matter &Anti-Matter a. When the Universe was younger than 1 second, there was an equal balance of matter & antimatter b. When similar conditions are created in particle accelerators like Fermilab, Physi9ists see an imbalance between matter and antimatter at one part 1*10 c. This is where the CMB photons came from 4. Predictive success a. Recombination at T= 3,000 K when the Universe was 379,000 years
More Less

Related notes for ASTR 100

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit