Astronomy
Course
ASTR 100
Professor
Thompson
Semester
Fall

Description
ASTRONOMY LECTURE 17 10/4/13 MARS 1. General Properties of Mars a. Mass 11% Earth’s b. Diameter 53% Earth’s c. Mean Density 3950 kg/m^3 d. Albedo 15% e. Weak Magnetic Field about 1% Earth f. Year= 687 earth days g. Day= 24.5 hours h. Axis tilt 25 degrees i. Two moons i. Phobos ii. Deimos 1. Are not circular because the gravitational field from mars is not strong enough to force its moons into a sphere. 2. Orbit close to the surface of mars 2. Life on Mars a. 1880s view: i. Mars has season with growing and shrinking polar caps ii. Schiaparelli & Percival Lowell suggested canals could be seen b. 1976 NASA’s Viking landers ended speculation about intelligent life c. ALH 84001 landed inAntarctica 13,000 years ago and shows fossil evidence of bacteria like life forms d. Recent report of methane gas 3. MarsAtmosphere & Missing Water a. Very thin atmosphere .6% Earth’s b. 95% Co2 and the rest nitrogen, argon, others c. Clouds of water d. Mars’northern hemisphere was once ocean filled with water, no one knows where it went or why it disappeared e. There are many speculative theories f. Carbon dioxide ice= coldest hemisphere i. Doesn’t turn to wat
More Less

Related notes for ASTR 100

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit