INFO 202 Lecture Notes - Lecture 16: Analytic Capacity, Tim Wu, Software Studies

52 views7 pages
INFO 202 Lecture Notes
Week 16
4/1 Final Review
What is Informatics?
Understanding the impact technology has on people
The development of new uses for technology
The application of information technology in the context of another field
Informatics is the interdisciplinary study of the design, application, use and impacts of
information technology
Social Informatics Reading Focus Kling et al
A body of research that examines the social aspects of computerization
The itedisiplia stud of the desig, uses ad oseueces of information technologies
that takes ito aout thei iteatio ith istitutioal ad ultual otets.
Examples
o Computerization in the workplace
o How people search the Web
o Human computer interaction
o Use of mobile phones in a society
o Computer supported cooperative work (CSCW)
Five Central Principles of Social Informatics
Uses of ICT lead to multiple and sometimes paradoxical effects
Uses of ICT shape thought and action in ways that benefit some groups more than others
The differential effects of the design, implementation and uses of ICTs often have moral and
ethical consequences
The design, implementation and uses of ICTs have reciprocal relationships with the larger social
context
The phenomenon of interest will vary by the level of analysis
Socio-technical Information System Have the Following Elements
People in various roles and relationships with each other and with other system elements
Hardware (computer mainframes, workstations, peripherals, telecommunications equipment)
Software (operating systems, utilities and application programs)
Techniques and processes (management science models, voting schemes)
Support resources (training/support/help)
Information structures (content and content providers, rules/norms/regulations, such as those
that authorize people to use systems and information in specific ways, access controls)
Review: The Productivity Paradox
Fear of automation and losing jobs
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 7 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
INFO 202 Lecture Notes
The relationship between productivity and the investment in ICTs showed no real cause and
effect
Do you think ICTs bring better productivity to your own work or in your workplace?
Why or why not?
ou a see the opute age eehee ut i the podutiit statistis
What’ ee ou epeiee ith e tehologies? Did ou get the podutiit or
futioalit ou’d ee poised o hoped fo?
What is a theory? Reading Focus Pinch & Bijker, Rogers, Feenberg
A theory can be
o A framework for explanation why does something happen
o An orienting lens for understanding phenomena
Social Construction of Technology
One should never take the meaning of a technical artifact or technological system as residing in
the technology itself (p. 6).
Diffusion of Innovation
Teholog diffusio is defied as … the poess  hih  a ioatio  is
communiated though etai haels  oe tie  aog ees of a soial sste
(Rogers, p.11)
Technological Determinism
Teholog as pie oe i histo
New technologies transform society at every level
Human factors and social arrangements are secondary to technology
Focus on causality (cause and effect relationships)
o Mono-causal offers a single cause
Critical Theories
Analysis of power
Critique of the social
Several different approaches
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 7 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

What is informatics: understanding the impact technology has on people, the development of new uses for technology, the application of information technology in the context of another field. Informatics is the interdisciplinary study of the design, application, use and impacts of information technology. Information structures (content and content providers, rules/norms/regulations, such as those that authorize people to use systems and information in specific ways, access controls) Review: the productivity paradox: fear of automation and losing jobs. Reading focus pinch & bijker, rogers, feenberg: a theory can be, a framework for explanation why does something happen, an orienting lens for understanding phenomena. Social construction of technology: one should never take the meaning of a technical artifact or technological system as residing in the technology itself (p. 6). Diffusion of innovation: te(cid:272)h(cid:374)olog(cid:455) diffusio(cid:374) is defi(cid:374)ed as (cid:862) the p(cid:396)o(cid:272)ess (cid:271)(cid:455) (cid:449)hi(cid:272)h (cid:894)(cid:1005)(cid:895) a(cid:374) i(cid:374)(cid:374)o(cid:448)atio(cid:374) (cid:894)(cid:1006)(cid:895) is communi(cid:272)ated th(cid:396)ough (cid:272)e(cid:396)tai(cid:374) (cid:272)ha(cid:374)(cid:374)els (cid:894)(cid:1007)(cid:895) o(cid:448)e(cid:396) ti(cid:373)e (cid:894)(cid:1008)(cid:895) a(cid:373)o(cid:374)g (cid:373)e(cid:373)(cid:271)e(cid:396)s of a so(cid:272)ial s(cid:455)ste(cid:373)(cid:863) (rogers, p. 11)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers