Three domains of life
● Bacteria (prokaryotes):
○ Bacteria have peptidoglycan in their cell wall (archaea don't)
● Archaea (prokaryotes):
○ share similar biochemical features with eukaryotes
○ share similar structural features with bacteria
● Eukarya (eukaryotes): algae, fungi, plants and animals
Lateral Gene Transfer:
1. DNA might be shared between three domains.
2. How are lateral gene transfers identified:
a. A gene is much more similar to genes in distantly related species than to those in
closely related species.