• Your reason must be a Maxim,the Maxim must be a categorical imperative,and the categorical imperative
must be universalizable and not use people solely as a means (principle of humanity) Kant
Utilitarianism isn't a good Maxim because it treats people only as a means sometimes;you are only a
means to increased happiness
• Deontology is fundamentally committed to respecting people
• What is it about personhood that makes choices so important?
• "But it is not the struggle to be rational or to be good. It is instead the ongoing struggle for integrity"
• Our actions are reﬂections of ourselves
• To be an agent is to be a chooser,our choices deﬁne us as agents
We are constantly reafﬁrming or changing our identity as individuals
• As an agent that makes choices it is your responsibility to respect other agents
Reasons,motives,intentions,and maxims are all just facts about agents
‣ They are important because they are indications of choice
Agents are reﬂective beings
If you follow through with