Class Notes (998,803)
US (389,556)
UIC (1,546)
CLJ (58)
CLJ 101 (18)
Lecture 3

CLJ 101 Lecture Notes - Chicago Police Department, Police Misconduct, Police Corruption
Premium

3 Pages
Fall 2017

Department
Criminology, Law, and Justice
Course Code
CLJ 101
Professor
Mc Carty Bill
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
CLJ 101 Intro to Criminology Unit: Police Controversies
Types of Law Enforcement Agencies
1) Federal (Secret Service deals with financial fraud; FBI deals with anti-terrorism)
2) State (state police deal with traffic & investigations)
3) County (Sheriff & Officers operate the jail, serve papers & do court security)
4) Municipal/local (everything you call “911” for; most police fall in this category
because theoretically the local police are more connected to the community and
can best serve the community’s needs)
Current Controversies in Policing
1) Officer-involved shootings
2) Lack of confidence in policing
***Many other controversies***
Controversies in Policing: Officer-involved Shootings
How many officer-involved shootings take place in the United States each year?
o 2013: 471
o 2014: 453
o 2015: 442
These are justifiable homicides by an officer in the line of duty
Data are severely limited; it’s not very good data
Officer-Involved Shootings: Data from the Washington Post
According to the 2016 data:
48% of those killed were white, 24% were African American, and 17% were
Hispanic
Adjusting for population, African Americans were 3x more likely to be killed
than Whites
5%of those killed were unarmed at the time of the shooting
34%of the unarmed people killed were African American males, although they
are 6%of the population
Roughly 25%of those killed were dealing with some sort of mental health issue
24%of the shootings were caught on some form of video, compared to 15%of the
shootings in 2015
Standard for Using Deadly Force
Use of Deadly Force- clarified by Tennessee v. Garner (1985)
Shift from…
a) Fleeing Felon Doctrine permits the use of force, including deadly force, against an
individual suspected of a felony and who is in clear flight
To…
b) Clear & Present Danger Rule deadly force may be justifiable only if the officer or
general public is in immediate danger
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
CLJ 101 Intro to Criminology Unit: Police Controversies Types of Law Enforcement Agencies 1) Federal (Secret Service deals with financial fraud; FBI deals with anti-terrorism) 2) State (state police deal with traffic & investigations) 3) County (Sheriff & Officers operate the jail, serve papers & do court security) 4) Municipal/local (everything you call 911 for; most police fall in this category because theoretically the local police are more connected to the community and can best serve the communitys needs) Current Controversies in Policing 1) Officer-involved shootings 2) Lack of confidence in policing ***Many other controversies*** Controversies in Policing: Officer-involved Shootings How many officer-involved shootings take place in the United States each year? o 2013: 471 o 2014: 453 o 2015: 442 These are justifiable homicides by an officer in the line of duty Data are severely limited; its not very good data Officer-Involved Shootings: Data from the Washington Post According to the 2016 data: 48% of those killed were white, 24% were African American, and 17% were Hispanic Adjusting for population, African Americans were 3x more likely to be killed than Whites 5%of those killed were unarmed at the time of the shooting 34%of the unarmed people killed were African American males, although they are 6%of the population Roughly 25%of those killed were dealing with some sort of mental health issue 24%of the shootings were caught on some form of video, compared to 15%of the shootings in 2015 Standard for Using Deadly Force Use of Deadly Force- clarified by Tennessee v. Garner (1985) Shift from a) Fleeing Felon Doctrine permits the use of force, including deadly force, against an individual suspected of a felony and who is in clear flight To b) Clear & Present Danger Rule deadly force may be justifiable only if the officer or general public is in immediate danger
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit