PSCH 312 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Nonverbal Communication, Linguistics, Future Tense

35 views5 pages
15 Aug 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Social perception = the study of how we form impressions of, and make inferences about, other people. Nonverbal communication is essential to accurately perceive others: express emotion, convert attitudes, communicate personality traits, facilitate/ modify verbal communication. First-person singular pronouns (e. g. , i, me, mine) depression, honesty, low social class. First-person plural pronouns (e. g. , we, us, our) detached, high status, socially connected to group. Schemas can guide our social perceptions of others. When schemas are applied to people, they are called stereotypes. Example: beautiful is good schema poor is lazy schema. Participants watched a person take an oral exam. Test-taker either starts well then does poorly, or starts poorly then does well. In each case, test-taker gets 15 out of 30 correct. Test-taker is rated more intelligent when s/he started out doing well than poorly. Attribution theories = theories that try to investigate the ways that people explain the of one"s own and other"s.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers