FIN 302 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Payback Period, Net Present Value, If And Only IfPremium
2 pages57 viewsSpring 2019
Course CodeFIN 302
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Net Present Value and other investment criteria
NPV = c/(1+r)+c1/(1+r1)+c2/(1+r2)^2…….
Accept the project if NPV >0
Reject the project if NPV < 0
Indifference between accepting /rejecting it if NPV = 0
NPV>0 iff PV(inflows) > PV(outflows)
1. definition : Payback is the number of period it takes to get through
initial investment back
2. Accept the project if payback < maximum allowable payback
Reject the project if payback > maximum allowable payback
Indifference if payback = maximum allowable payback
3. Problem with statistic
a. Ignores TVM
b. Ignores CF after payback is reached
c. Benchmark is determined externally, so cutoff can be arbitrary
1. Definition: Discounted payback addresses the first problem of
payback by using discounted CF to the Payback period.
2. Accept if discounted > max allowed
3. Reject if discounted < max allowed
4. Indifference if DPB = max allowed
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version
Loved by over 2.2 million students
Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.