6 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
Mechanical Engineering
Donald Siegel

THE UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN Department of Mechanical Engineering ME 235 Thermodynamics I / Winter 2014 / Section 002 HW 11 Solutions Due date: Apr. 17 2014 7.96 Methane at 1 MPa, 300 K is throttled through a valve to 100 kPa. Assume no change in the kinetic energy and ideal gas behavior. What is the specific entropy generation? Solution: 7.125 Air from a line at 12 MPa, 15°C, flows into a 500-L rigid tank that initially contained air at ambient conditions, 100 kPa, 15°C. The process occurs rapidly and is essentially adiabatic. The valve is closed when the pressure inside reaches some value2 P . The tank eventually cools to room temperature, at which time the pressure inside is 5 MPa. What is the pres2ure P ? What is the net entropy change for the overall process? 7.127 A balloon is filled with air from a line at 200 kPa, 300 K to a final state of 110 kPa, 300 K with a mass of 0.1 kg air. Assume the pressure is proportional to the balloon volume as: P = 100 kPa + CV. Find the heat transfer to/from the ambient at 300 K and the total entropy generation. Solution: 7.148 Air enters an insulated turbine at 50°C, and exits
More Less

Related notes for MECHENG 235

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.