6 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
Mechanical Engineering
Donald Siegel

THE UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN Department of Mechanical Engineering ME 235 Thermodynamics I / Winter 2014 / Section 002 HW 4 Solutions Due date: Feb. 11 2014 3.34 Airplane takeoff from an aircraft carrier is assisted by a steam driven pistowith ander device average pressure of 1250 kPa. A 17500 kg airplane should be accelerated from zero to a speed of 30 m/s with 30% of the energy coming from the steam piston. Find the needed piston displacement volume. 3.55 Air goes through a polytropic process fro m 125 kPa, 325 K to 300 kPa and 500 K. Find the polytropic exponent n and the specific work in the process. 3.57 Consider a piston cylinder with 0.5 kg of R -134a as saturated vapor at -10°C. It is now compressed to a pressure of 500 kPa in a polytropic process with n = 1.5. Find the final volume and temperature, and determine the work done during the process. 2 3.61 A 2-m window has a surface temperature of 15°C and the outside wind is blowing air at 2°C across it with a convection heat transfer coefficient of h = 125 W/m K. What is the total heat transfer loss? 3.65 A pot of steel, conductivity 50 W/m K, with a 5 mm thick bottom is filled with 15°C liquid water. The pot has a diameter of 20 cm and is now placed on an elect
More Less

Related notes for MECHENG 235

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.