PSYCH 240 Lecture Notes - Lecture 18: Power Law, Functional Fixedness, Backtracking

61 views6 pages
16 Dec 2017
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Definition of a problem: a problem consists of some initial state in which a person begins and a goal state that is to be attained, plus a non obvious way of getting from the first to the second (methods) Types of problems: well-structured/defined, completely specified starting conditions, goal state, and methods for achieving the goal, ex) geometry proofs. Ill- structured/defined: not clear when goal state is achieved or what methods needed to get to goal state, ex) finding the perfect mate, choosing a career, writing the best novel. Stages in problem-solving: representation of problem, planning, execute the steps, check and repeat. Problem space: can think of problem solving as search through a space of mental states. So if i start off at an initial state of knowledge i"m trying to get to some goal state of knowledge and i have some mental operators that i can apply to change my current state of knowledge .

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers