PSYCH 280 Lecture Notes - Lecture 26: Social Exchange Theory

35 views3 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

We"re more attracted to people who are moderately selective in their social preferences. Found that attractiveness increases as closing time approached in a bar, only for participants not in committed relationships. Exchange - no special responsibility is assumed for partner. Benefits are given with expectations of reciprocity in the future. Communal - special responsibility is assumed for partner. Benefits are given, non contingently, to support partner"s welfare. When someone is not being a friend. There must be rewards for your efforts, social exchange, but it"s one sided. Social exchange theory - subjective cost-benefit analysis of relationship. Cl - expectations about what people think they deserve in a relationship. Cl-alt - expectations of what people think they can get out of alternative relationships. Self-image goals - managing the impressions others have of us. By controlling what you think of me, i"ll get my way. Compassionate goals - supportive and constructive for others. Managing your goals (crocker and canevello, 2008)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers