PSYCH 303 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Operational Definition, Operationalization, Psych

54 views3 pages
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Participant variables are set by the participant and cannot be changed, you can only measure not manipulate (i. e. not able to manipulate sex) Manipulated variables are controlled by the scientist and are manipulated (i. e. changing the color of text to measure readability) A: sat prep courses, for example, can change college readiness (usually improves it); another extreme example is prep school. A: can manipulate level of self-esteem by having people look in a mirror or on facebook instead of just measuring. Does the whole group change as a result of the manipulation? i. e. looking @ differences in scores between group that took a prep course and group that did not. Measure of preferences by having each individual pick their favorite color instead of assigning color. Three claims: frequency claim, i. e. (cid:862)60% of all undergrads use laptops in (cid:272)lass(cid:863, association claim, i. e. (cid:862)using internet is related to lo(cid:449)er grades(cid:863, causal claim, i. e. (cid:862)using internet causes lower grades.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers