PSYCH 270 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Thomas Szasz, Twin Study, Collectivism

21 views3 pages
19 Sep 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Negative impact of social stress, poverty, racism, and forced social roles. Process of labeling creates social role of mentally ill person (self-fulfilling prophecy) Upper class (including mental health professionals) view lower class responses to stress as abnormal and more disturbing. Pavkov et al. "s study of psychiatric diagnoses and racial bias. Yes. majority of white patients correctly diagnosed with major depressive disorder, African-americans either diagnosed correctly with mdd or incorrectly with schizophrenia. Rene descartes - cognito ergo sum - i think therefore i am . Collectivism: focus on the well-being of a group. Level the playing field ; most psychological values applied to the general public were originally developed in terms of white-european males. Labeling alone cannot account for mental illness. Thomas szasz: mental illness is a myth. Helped establish patient advocacy to inform patients of rights and obligations. Res extensa: external thing, including my body. Mind is viewed as epiphenomenon of complex brain processes (the mind and body are unified)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers