Sociology
Course
SOC 100
Professor
All Professors
Semester
Fall

Description
Soc – lecture – midterm review 10/22/2013 Course Overview Unit 1: Sociology as a way of thinking Unit 2: Individuals and society Unit 3: Identity and Inequality Introduction Race and ethnicity Social class Gender and sexuality Unit 1: Sociology as a way of thinking Sociological imagination Basic core concept of this course Most generally, perspectival flip Seeing the relationship between individuals and their broader social worlds (Mills) Strange in the familiar and familiar in the strange (Berger) Individual biography vs. social­structural history Your own personal history (indiv. biography) Big historical events and conditions that affect peoples’ lives (soc­struc history) Troubles vs. issues Troubles – individual Issues – broader social pattern, shared by other people  How economic inequality benefits the West article Unit 2: Individuals and Society Symbolic Interactionism study of symbolic interactions – all of the meaningful ways we tend not to see in interactions – without those  our interactions would fall apart Line ongoing process of you putting forward what you think about yourself and situation that you’re in – ongoing  pattern of interaction Face impression you’re trying to sustain, positive valuation you’re trying to claim Face­work (Goffman) interaction is full of meaning avoidance process, corrective process active work to present self/face Presentation of self in symbolic interaction, we’re presenting a certain face and managing it – dramaturgical   “Jumping in” and “falling off” in the rap cipher (Lee) jumping in when someone else falls off is saving face escaping embarrassment  Consensus, conflict, and multi­institutional models of society Consensus – society is an organism where everything in a society plays a specific role/has a specific  function Conflict – conflict is at the center of society Multi – not one way that society works, we as individuals are participating in multi institutional spheres.  They overlap in different ways Socialization Integrating the individual into society by putting society into the individual. Internalizing all of the rules of  society Social reproduction Social structures tend to be reproduced over time “code of the street” vs. “decent families” social norms deviance labeling theory self­fulfilling prophecy social control Unit 3: Identity and Inequality Unit 3a: I & I (race and ethnicity) Unit 3b: I & I (social class) Class
More Less

Related notes for SOC 100

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit