ENVIRSCI 214 Lecture Notes - Lecture 26: Detritivore, Upwelling, Experimental Lakes Area

22 views2 pages

Document Summary

The physics, chemistry, and geology involved in ecosystems. Ecosystem = all the organisms in an area plus the physical/chemical environment. Energy in ecosystems originates with primary production by autotrophs. The ecological roles of organisms are determined by their trophic interactions. Determines the influence of an organism on the movement of energy and nutrients through an ecosystem. Detritus- includes dead organisms plus fecal material, considered part of the first trophic level. Detritivores- pri(cid:373)arily (cid:271)a(cid:272)teria, fu(cid:374)gi lu(cid:373)ped i(cid:374) (cid:449)ith the her(cid:271)i(cid:448)ores i(cid:374) the se(cid:272)o(cid:374)d trophi(cid:272) levels. Feeding relationships= some organisms do not fit well into trophic levels. Omnivores feed at multiple trophic levels, example: wolves eating meat and vegetables but all organisms are either consumed by other organisms or enter the pool of dead organic matter for detritus. In terrestrial ecosystems, only a small portion of the biomass is consumed, and most of the energy flow passes through the detritus. Sunlight feeds photosynthetic autotrophs, plants, many bacteria, and algae.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers