Philosophy
Course
PHIL 100
Professor
Peter Graham
Semester
Spring

Description
PHIL 100 The Problems of Personal Identity  The topic of personal identity is an issue at the center of metaphysics  There are many different questions that often get lumped together in discussions of personal identity It will be important to keep them separate. Examples:  Who am I ??  What makes me unique?  What kinds of traits make me particular kind of person that I am?  What is it to be a person?  What does it take for a person to persist from one time to another time?  What does it take for the SAME person to exist at differnet times?  What sorts of adventures could u survive?  How can we tell who is who?  What evidence bears on the question of whether the person here and now is the one who was here yesterday?  What am I?  What sort of things, metaphysically speaking, are you and I and another human people?  What is our basic metaphysical nature?  How/What could I have been?  How different could I have been from the way I actually am?  Which of my properties are essential? Persistence Question: Our main focus What does it take for a person to persist from one time to another??  What does it take for the same person to exist at different times?  What sorts of adventures could u survive?  The Persistence Question is a question about numerical identity.  Numerical identity must be distinguished from mere qualitative identity  X is numerically identical to Y means that X and Y are the very same thing.  X is qualitatively identical to Y means that X
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 100

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit