Non Factivism and Emotivism.docx

4 Pages

Department
Philosophy
Course Code
PHIL 160
Professor
Christopher Meacham

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Description
Non­Factivism Factivism (cognitivism): Moral claims are true or false       i.e. How tall is Mt. Everest? Non­Factivism (Non­cognitivism): Moral Claims aren't true or false Non­Factive Language: Ex) Questions      What's the way to the library? True? False? Questions aren't true or false­ they are requests for info. Ex) Commands      Shout! True? False? ­They are injunctions Ex) Cheering/Booing       Go Team! True? False? ­Approval/disapproval      Not a claim of how things are • Moral Claims are non­Factive­ not how things are Emotivism, Take I (Cheering/Booing): "You should do 'x'" means "Yayy doing X!" "You shouldn't do X" means :Boo doing X" Ex) "Homosexuality is immoral." ­"boo, homosexuality" Not necessarily true Ex) "You should tell her the truth." ­"Yay telling the truth!" Ex) Confession "You should stop thinking bad things about your roommate and say five Hail Mary's" ­Priest is cheering you on for a proper course of action ­Doesn't care/bored ­Plausibly telling you what to do­ Command Take I: :( Emotivism, Take II (Commands) "You should do X" ­ "Do X!" "You shouldn't do X" ­ "Don't do X!" Ex) Homosexuality is Immoral ­Don't be homosexual Ex) You should tell her the truth ­Tell her the truth Ex) "You should stop thinking bad things about your roommate and say five Hail Mary's" ­ Stop thinking bad things and say five Hail Mary's Take II: :) Ex) Complaining "Susie should not have been flirting with my boyfriend." ­Susie, Don't flirt with my boyfriend. ­­ Doesn't make sense­ she is not there to command,  wouldn't even say something like that Take II: :( Cheering/booing works here­ You are expressing your disapproval Take I: :) Moral claims can take two roles. Doesn't just have to be on
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit