Philosophy
Course
PHIL 160
Professor
Christopher Meacham
Semester
Fall

Description
Standard Positions  Right to Life:                                                             Pro­Choice                                                                         Pro­Life______ Take I:                          Rational/Social             Human Genetic Code                                 [C.E. babies, hermits]          [C.E. Cancer cells] Take II:                           Personhood                 Human being hood •  Problem I:  unclear what counts as a human being or a person •  Problem II:  Unmotivated Marquis's View What is it that makes killing wrong? • You deprive someone of a life Marquis: The degree to which it's bad to kill something is proportional to the degree to  which it's deprived of a "valuable future like ours" • A normal human adult does have a valuable future like ours • Plants, bugs, etc. don't • Cows: ? Advantages of Marquis's Account • It explains why killing is so bad • It explains why Euthanasia isn't as bad as "normal" murder • Explains why killing non­humans can be bad • Explains why killing babies is at least as bad as killing adults All still deprive the subject of a "valuable future like ours" Marquis + Contraception Marquis: Killing a fetus at any stage is bad (Greater than or equal to killing a normal  human adult) Worry: Contraception (+Chastity) = Murder? • When wearing a condom and not getting someone pregnant, it is just as bad as killing a  normal human adult because you are depriving something of a future Marquis's Reply:  •  Take 1  Don't know which sperm + egg combo is deprived ◦ Th
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 160

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit