Right to Life: ProChoice ProLife______
Take I: Rational/Social Human Genetic Code
[C.E. babies, hermits] [C.E. Cancer cells]
Take II: Personhood Human being hood
• Problem I: unclear what counts as a human being or a person
• Problem II: Unmotivated
What is it that makes killing wrong?
• You deprive someone of a life
Marquis: The degree to which it's bad to kill something is proportional to the degree to
which it's deprived of a "valuable future like ours"
• A normal human adult does have a valuable future like ours
• Plants, bugs, etc. don't
• Cows: ?
Advantages of Marquis's Account
• It explains why killing is so bad
• It explains why Euthanasia isn't as bad as "normal" murder
• Explains why killing nonhumans can be bad
• Explains why killing babies is at least as bad as killing adults
All still deprive the subject of a "valuable future like ours"
Marquis + Contraception
Marquis: Killing a fetus at any stage is bad (Greater than or equal to killing a normal
Worry: Contraception (+Chastity) = Murder?
• When wearing a condom and not getting someone pregnant, it is just as bad as killing a
normal human adult because you are depriving something of a future
• Take 1 Don't know which sperm + egg combo is deprived