A Tension in our Ordinary Attitudes
• People think that Vick is a bad person because he treats his dogs badly, but factory
farming isn't as frowned upon
• Ex) Fred and Cocoamone Factory
1 Fred is a chocolate lover, has no more cocoamone
2 Learns that puppies have lots of cocoamone
3 Buys a new puppy every week and puts it in a cage
1 Hurts the puppy in a new way
4 Gets cocoamone
The Argument from Humane Institutions
• P1. If cocoamone farming is wrong, then factory farming is wrong.
• P2. Cocoamone farming is wrong.
• C. Factory farming is wrong.
1 Argument is valid
2 Is it sound?
1 Option 1 . Reject P1: There is a morally relevant difference between
cocoamone farming and factory farming.
1 Deliberate harm vs. harm X
2 Food vs. not (1)
3 Desire for chocolate vs desire for meat X
4 Profit? (2)
2 Option 2 . Reject P2: Animal suffering doesn't matter (much).
3 Option 3 . Accept C: Factory farming is wrong.
The Argument from Marginal Cases
• Ex) SRHA Farming
1 The Argument from "Marginal" Cases
2 P1. If SRHA farming is wrong, then FF is wrong.
3 P2. SRHA is wrong.
4 FF is wrong.
1 Valid? Yes.
1 Option 1 Reject P1
2 Option 2 Reject P2
3 Nonrational suffering doesn't matter (much).
4 Option 3 Accept Conclusion.
Five Bad Responses
• Comparing suffering across species is impossible.
1 No good reason to think that Factory farming is wrong.
2 We can make rough ballpark comparisons