An Affirmative Action Policy
• Applies to decisions regarding education or employment, and
• Has the intention of increasing the representation of, or benefitting, some group
Who, How, and Where?
• Who Who is the group to be benefitted?
• How How is the policy going to implemented?
1 Eg A bump in admissions, beating nongroup members with a stick, etc
• Where which organization?
1 Eg US government jobs, NBA jobs, etc.
• (When) What's the historical context?
Types of Affirmative Action
1 Eg Advertising broadly, waiving application fees
2 Example: Princeton Fellowship
3 Making sure that everyone is aware of the opportunities out there and not just
the privileged people
1 Making hiring/admissions decisions that "bump up" members of a group for
reasons orthogonal to competence
2 Example: Veteran Preference
3 It counts in your favor if you're part of the underprivileged group