Sociology
Course
SOCIOL 244
Professor
C.N.Le
Semester
Spring

Description
THE RACIALZIZED LANDSCAPE OF IMMIGRATION TO THE U.S. 1. Defining terms a. Nationality—country you call home b. National origin—country you were born in c. Culture—factors that unite a group i.e. language, norms, religion, etc. d. Ethnicity—combines culture with heredity e. Race—socially constructed/politically motivate process i. No biological basis/validity 2. Concept of Race a. Race is not real, but racism is very real 3. Official federal racial groups a. White/Caucasian b. Black/AfricanAmerican c. Asian d. Pacific Islander/Native Hawaiian e. American Indian/NativeAlaskan f. Sociology adds racial groups i. Latinos/Hispanics ii. Arab/Middle EasternAmericans 4. The fundamentalAmerican contradiction a. “All men are created equal” vs. slavery b. Concept of “racial differences” invented i. “Racial differences” became associated with judgments of superior vs. inferior, normal vs. abnormal, etc. ii. Became institutionalized and used to justify unequal treatment and discrimination against non-whites c. Perceptions of inferiority cycle i. Denied opportunitiessubordinate positionperceptions of inferiority 5. Defining who’s “American” a. Only whit
More Less

Related notes for SOCIOL 244

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit