Sport Management
Course
SPORTMGT 200
Professor
Todd Crosset
Semester
Spring

Description
Joseph Francis Basketball Study In the history of sports there has always been an issue with gender differences.  Sport has created this ideology that males are the superior gender. As Messner stated  “sport has provided as basis through which men have sought to reconstitute and challenge  masculine hegemony.” However recently this has began to change and sport was no  longer just for boys. Even now we are still faced with the issue with how much media  coverage each gender gets. In the late 1980’s over 90 percent of media of sports was  male. In Messner’s study they examine how women and men’s sports are covered, when  indeed female sports are covered in media, or as Messner said “window of opportunity”  They examined whether commentators speak about women and men’s athletic contests  differently? Also one of the main issues under consideration was whether women and  men’s events are verbally gender marked. Well, the answer is yes gender marking does exist. We are constantly reminded of  this even today. For example today, I noticed on TV that the “women’s national  basketball tournament was on.” However I then noticed on anot
More Less

Related notes for SPORTMGT 200

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit