COMM 100 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Nonverbal Communication, Stress Management

47 views2 pages

Document Summary

Purpose of communication: express affiliation, managing relationships, affiliation - feeling of connectedness with others (love, respect, hatred, etc. ) i. **with the goal of finding common ground: cannot have communication unless with a relationship of some sort b. Interdependence - nature of relationship and what to gain. Critical thinking challenges to understand + improve experience and interactions! Characteristics of communication: based on messages, encoding - idea into message, decoding - interpretation of message. *expectation is not always met i: symbolic, transactional, symbols to help better understand w/o having to explain, need to have participant(s), someone to decode message, generates shared meaning. Influenced by society + context: certain aspects meaning certain things, depends on region/time/culture. Non -verbal actions are more believable than words: other terms of communication i. ii. iii. Recognizing after a message is transmitted, participants switch roles to send a. Reflects an ongoing process reliant on feedback. Recognizes feedback but also takes into account how culture, society and.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers