January 22, 2014:
What is Politics?
“The struggle over who gets what, when, and how”
What is this “struggle”?
A. 4 c’s
What is the struggle over?
● Material manifestation of Money and is connected to the various ways in which
this is produced (jobs, capital, land, etc)
● All want, but scarce resources
● Wealth inequalities
● Politics as the struggle over the means by which wealth is created, protection of
wealth, and/or redistribution of wealth
● Top 85 most wealthy people in the world have same $$ as the bottom HALF of all
people on Earth
B. Status (in political terms)
● Position of an individual or a group in society
● Positive Attributes
● Social movements
● The ability of an actor to make another actor do what they would not do
● Forms (#s, Time, Info, Skills)
● Fungible (of goods contracted for without an individual specimen being
specified) able to replace or be replaced by another identical item; mutually
interchangeable.: "money is fungible—money that is raised for