January 29, 2014:
State of the Union
● Lots of problems - any solutions??
Constitution and Founding Fathers
● Much of the Tea Party movement is opposition to contemporary actions of the
● Opposing viewpoints
○ Founding Fathers
● What were Articles of Confederation?
● What were probs with Articles?
● Who were the Founding Fathers?
● How were key conflicts resolved?
● What are the key characteristics of the Const and how were they achieved?
FOCUS (in discussion section): 4 c’s and Democratic Document
Articles of Confederation
● Articles of Confederation - problems that those writing Articles of Confederation
○ Little national unity
■ Identities and Interests
■ Each state thought of itself first as “Virginian” or
“Massachusettsians”, not “American”
○ Fear of a strong central government
■ Experience with King George
■ Violate “social contract”
■ Colonists believed/wanted any new government needed to be
limited in its ability to hamper individual liberty
○ Economic Divisions
■ Industrial vs. Agrarian
■ Slave and non-slave
■ Merchants and planters
○ Organization of Articles:
■ Key characteristics
● Limited power for national government
● Strong and independent states
● A system of government in which the state reserve sovereign
authority except for powers delegated explicitly to the
national government ● “A firm league of friendship” where “each state retains its
○ Powers of Articles of Confederation
■ No president, no courts, only a Congress
● War & raise army by request
● Congress could coin money, but so could states
● Not tax citizens, voluntary contributions
● No interstate regulation of commerce, Congress had no
control over interstate commerce
● States fre