PSY 101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Syphilis, Posttraumatic Stress Disorder

124 views30 pages
25 Apr 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Descartes believed soul mind reparation and wondered how mind and body. Locke believed tabula rasa, blank sheet mind that experiences grew on it. 800,000,000,000,000 distance between sun and earth (common sense) i. e. relying on gut feelings when hiring job people. (intuition) After an event people believe they could have predicted the outcome. Theory: explanation that integrates principles and organizes and predicts behavior. i. e. low self-esteem contributes to depression. Hypothesis: a testable prediction, to enable us to accept reject or revise a theory. i. e. low self-esteem contributes to depression. Precise defining of variable to be manipulated or measured. Assigning participants to experimental (real) and control (placebo) conditions by random assignment minimizes pre-existing differences between two groups. In evaluating drug therapies, patients and experiments" assistants should remain unaware of which patients had the real treatment and which patient had the placebo treatment. To detect naturally occurring relationships, to assets how well one variable predicts another.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers