Population Genetics

2 Pages
89 Views
Unlock Document

Department
Anthropology
Course
ANTH 1001
Professor
Kieran Mc Nulty
Semester
Spring

Description
Population Genetics/Hardy Weinberg Model How can you tell if a population is evolving? Hardy Weinberg Model • developed independently by Godfrey Hardy and Wilhelm Weinberg • Standard by which to measure whether a population is evolving • provides and ideal non-evolving population against which we can compare natural populations • Given a set of allele frequencies, what is the probability of getting different genotypes? • If you know the probability of an event happening, the chance of it happening twice is the square of the probability (p x p = p^2) • Consider a two allele system for height: tall allele T, short allele t • in a population with a p = 30% T alleles and q = 70% t alleles, what is the probability of being: ◦ Homozygote tall TT (aka grabbing a T twice): 30% x 30% = 9% ◦ Homozygote short tt: 70% x 70% = 49% ◦ Heterozygote tall Tt: 30% x 70% x 2 = 21% ▪ two different way to be heterozygous, have to multiple probability times 2 • p^2 (homozygous dominant) + 2pq (heterozygous) + q^2 (homozygous recessive) = 1 Under what conditions will the HW model predict genotype frequencies? (HW equilibrium, not fully possible) • Mating is random with respect to the trait studied • Mutation is not occurring in the trait studied • There is no migration in or out of the population • Natural selection is not acting on the trait • The population is infinitely large A population in HW equilibrium • Allele frequencies are not changing • the population is not evolving • 4 of 5 of the conditions say the population is not evolving • infinite size needed so there is no error • random mating is needed because if it isn't a condition, there will be different genotype frequencies Non-random ma
More Less

Related notes for ANTH 1001

Log In


OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Sign up

Join to view


OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.


Submit