ChEn 2001 Lecture 9/4/2013

3 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Minnesota Twin Cities
Chemical Engineering
CHEN 2001
Kechun Zhang

Accumulation/Consumption Reactor Mass Separator Mass Energy Mixer Energy In Heat Exchangers Out *Math quiz sept 17 Computer exam oct 10 Midterm exams oct 11 and nov 18 Moodle access overhead hw, recitation, supplemental materla, grade Homework: due at beginning of lecture (needs name, id, recitation section)…can be typed or handwritten, can write on both sides of paper 9/4/2013  Chemical processes: converts raw materials to products by changing chemical and/or physical properties of the material; Consists of a series of unit operations (reactors, separators, mixers, or heat exchangers) in which a feedstock is processed to make desired products  Our goal in this class is to write mass and energy balance equations; these are the basic tools for engineering analysis of chemical process  1.1 Goals for a chemical process o (a) make a product with specific functions o (b) want to convert waste into useful materials (ex: corn fiber  ethanol) o (c) convert material to energy (ex: gasoline in a car)  1.2 Raw Materials (Air, Water, crude oil, minerals, agricultural/waste products (corn))  1.3 Balance Chemical Equations o aA + bB  cC + dD o ex: C H3+ 8O  32O + 4H O2 2 o ex: ½ SiCl +4H  2 Si + 2HCl o Define v =istoichiometric coefficient for species i  V i 0 for reactants  V i 0 for products  If it is 0, then it isn’t in the rxn
More Less

Related notes for CHEN 2001

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.