Premium

6 Pages

Department
Food Science and Nutrition
Course Code
FSCN 3615
Professor
Cherry Smith

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.
Britain Continued
1662: King Charles and his wife, Catherine brought back foreign tea from Holland and influenced the
wealthy classes of society
Tea mania spread maong English high society
18th century: popularity of tea grew
Misperception for term “high tea”: sounds real and lofty
Actually for term: consumed during/near dinner
In England, the traditional tea time was 4:00 (low tea)- 6:00 (high tea)
No one stayed after 7:00
Low Tea
Tea consumed in a sitting room where low tables (like a coffee table) were placed near sofas or
chairs generally in a large drawing room
Served at 4 pm in the homes of wealthy aristocrats with simple gourmet tidbits rather than regular
meals
Served with:
Freshly baked scones
Afternoon tea sandwiches: thinly-sliced cucumber sandwiches with the crusts cut off
Assorted pastries
High Tea
For lower and middle classes
Considered the main meal of the day and featured meats, bread, butter, pickles, cheeses and tea at
high dining tables
6pm: main meal
The Royal Family
Patriarchal system (traditionally) now it is first born, independent of sex of child
The Royal Family has no “real” power, only symbolic, but it is a British Institution loved by the
public
Now Britain has a queen
King Henry VIII
Reigned 1509-1547
Six wives
Ann Boleyn: gave him a daughter, Elizabeth
Jane Seymour (wife 3): gave him a son, Edward VI
Queen Elizabeth I
Britain become a world power during her 45 year reign
Never married, no children
Intelligent, shrewd, determined
Did not want to give up her power to a man
Queen Victoria
Reigned as Queen 1839-1901
Had 9 children
Ruled for 50 years
Queen Elizabeth II
Still the queen right now
Has been ruling since 195, ruling 65 years
Her father was King George VI
Has 4 children
King will take over, oldest child
Traditional Foods of Scotland and Wales
find more resources at oneclass.com
Scotland:
Game and salmon
Haggis: lamb’s organ meat (lungs, liver, and heart) mixed with suet, onions, herbs and
spices, then packed into a skin bag traditionally made of a sheep’s stomach
Often served with mashed potatoes and mashed turnips
Wales:
Traditional breakfast made of boiled seaweed, rolled with fine Welsh oatmeal into little
cakes and fried into crisp patties with eggs, bacon and cockles (seafood)
Bara Brith: a fruit bread with raisins, currants, fruit peel
Welsh Rarebit: melted cheese on toast
Cawl: a rich stew made with bacon, scraps of lamb and vegetables
Welsh Cakes, also known as Griddle Scones
Italy
The “boot”
2 islands (Sicily and Sardinia)
Sardinia is a Blue Zone (live a long time) (other blue zone is Okinawa (Japan)) one in California, Loma
Linda (vegetarian, health oriented)
Mediterranean climate except in mountainous regions
Apennine range forms peninsula backbone and joins the Alps in the north
Highest peak is Mont Blanc
2 volcanoes:
Vesuvius- dormant, Naples
Etna- active, Sicily
Mount Vesuvius
25,000 years old
Last eruption was 1944
Destruction of Roman city of Pompeii was in 79 AD
Petrified human remains
Most dangerous volcano in the world- 3 million live within the range
Points of Interest
The Leaning Tower of Pisa is a marble tower built over 800 year ago
Bell tower of the Cathedral
Built on soft ground
During construction began to lean
Today it leans over 16 feet
Over 70% of the population lives in cities and towns
Majority of people live in the northern region of Italy and on the west coast near Naples, Rome
and the Po Valley
Southern region tends to be more rural (lower class/poverty)
Italians
Between 1880-1920, nearly 5 million Italians settled in the US, mostly settled in the large
industrial cities on East coast
Came for economic reasons, more than half returned to Italy after making money
14 million Americans of Italian descent in USA
Mostly of the Catholic religion
Italian Families
Idea of family extremely important
⅓ of italians go to see Mom every day
¾ of Italians go to see Mom every week

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Britain Continued 1662: King Charles and his wife, Catherine brought back foreign tea from Holland and influenced the wealthy classes of society Tea mania spread maong English high society 18th century: popularity of tea grew Misperception for term high tea: sounds real and lofty Actually for term: consumed during/near dinner In England, the traditional tea time was 4:00 (low tea)- 6:00 (high tea) No one stayed after 7:00 Low Tea Tea consumed in a sitting room where low tables (like a coffee table) were placed near sofas or chairs generally in a large drawing room Served at 4 pm in the homes of wealthy aristocrats with simple gourmet tidbits rather than regular meals Served with: Freshly baked scones Afternoon tea sandwiches: thinly-sliced cucumber sandwiches with the crusts cut off Assorted pastries High Tea For lower and middle classes Considered the main meal of the day and featured meats, bread, butter, pickles, cheeses and tea at high dining tables 6pm: main meal The Royal Family Patriarchal system (traditionally) now it is first born, independent of sex of child The Royal Family has no real power, only symbolic, but it is a British Institution loved by the public Now Britain has a queen King Henry VIII Reigned 1509-1547 Six wives Ann Boleyn: gave him a daughter, Elizabeth Jane Seymour (wife 3): gave him a son, Edward VI Queen Elizabeth I Britain become a world power during her 45 year reign Never married, no children Intelligent, shrewd, determined Did not want to give up her power to a man Queen Victoria Reigned as Queen 1839-1901 Had 9 children Ruled for 50 years Queen Elizabeth II Still the queen right now Has been ruling since 195, ruling 65 years Her father was King George VI Has 4 children King will take over, oldest child Traditional Foods of Scotland and Wales Scotland: Game and salmon Haggis: lambs organ meat (lungs, liver, and heart) mixed with suet, onions, herbs and spices, then packed into a skin bag traditionally made of a sheeps stomach Often served with mashed potatoes and mashed turnips Wales: Traditional breakfast made of boiled seaweed, rolled with fine Welsh oatmeal into little cakes and fried into crisp patties with eggs, bacon and cockles (seafood) Bara Brith: a fruit bread with raisins, currants, fruit peel Welsh Rarebit: melted cheese on toast Cawl: a rich stew made with bacon, scraps of lamb and vegetables Welsh Cakes, also known as Griddle Scones Italy The boot 2 islands (Sicily and Sardinia) Sardinia is a Blue Zone (live a long time) (other blue zone is Okinawa (Japan)) one in California, Loma Linda (vegetarian, health oriented) Mediterranean climate except in mountainous regions Apennine range forms peninsula backbone and joins the Alps in the north Highest peak is Mont Blanc 2 volcanoes: Vesuvius- dormant, Naples Etna- active, Sicily Mount Vesuvius
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit