Premium

2 Pages

Department
Food Science and Nutrition
Course Code
FSCN 3615
Professor
Cherry Smith

This preview shows 80% of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Page: of

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Medicine Continued: Humoral medicine o These medical systems are very old and some aspects may intertwine o Tibetan medicine is distinctly its own system, but incorporates aspects of Greek, Chinese, and Ayurvedic medical systems o In general, many call humoral medicine hot-cold medical systems The balance o The temperature of the food is relevant only to its effect on the human body, and then only because it might have an adverse effect on health o There is no standard list of what is hot and what is cold, some variation occurs between populations and cultures o Generally, cold illness comes from without the body (cold air, cold foods) o Sensations of pain are usually cold, while sensations of irritations are hot o Cold illnesses are not always visible to the world, symptoms being pain and immobility o Hot illnesses are visible to the outside world Skin eruptions, abscess on tooth, sore eyes, fever and hoarseness o In Greek, humoral medicine the basic body functions were regulated by 4 bodily humors, these humors are characterized by a combination of hot and cold with wetness or dryness blood= hot and wet Yellow bile= hot and dry phlegm= cold and wet Black bile= cold and dry Bile o Bile acids are synthesized by the hepatocytes and secreted by the liver and found in gallbladders o It is discharged into the small intestine and aids in digestion o When they are in the liver they are yellow or greenish in color, the predominant one is bilirubin (yellow) o When bilirubin goes into the intestine it is modified by bacterial enzymes to form brown pigment, this is black bile Latin Medicine o In contemporary Mexico medical beliefs and practices are based on the Greek humoral medical practices o Illness results from imbalances in these humors, and good health is maintained by proper balance o Disease is cured by correcting imbalances, either adding or subtracting heat, cold, dryness or wetness o In Latin America, most foods, beverages, medicines, and herbs are classified as hot (caliente) or cold (fresco or fro) o Examples of illnesses caused by cold entering the body in central Mexico: Chest cramp: cold air entered the chest when a person is overheated Earache: a cold draft enters the ear canal Headache: cool night mist or air enters the head Teething: the pain of teething is a cold pain originates from the coldness of the white new teeth that are growing in o Examples of hot illnesses: Dysentery: because of the bloody stools, this is a hot disease (blood is intensely hot), too many hot foods Sore eyes: overstrained ey
More Less
Unlock Document

Only 80% of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit