Fall 2016

Department
History of Medicine
Course Code
HMED 3075
Professor
Tobbell D
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
HMED 3075 Lecture Notes:
Mon 10/10 Technology and Disease Identity
Lecture: Gender, Disease, and Sexuality in Victorian America
Reading: Keith Wailoo, Chlorosis ‘eeered: Disease ad the Moral Maageet
of Aeria Woe.
Technologies of Blood Analysis c. late 19th century
Collecting blood for analysis:
o Locate blood vessel, puncture, and withdraw blood
o Prick a finger or earlobe
Counting blood: Hemocytometer c.1877
Smear blood on microscope slide
o Not too tick/thin, no contamination
o Skilled work
Hemocytometer
o Counting grid part of microscope slide
Count cells in a grid rather than entire slide
Attempt to correlate blood counts with clinical disease
Measuring Blood: Hemoglobinometer
Method of estimating amount of hemoglobin in the blood
Compared the color of blood with the color of a known standard
E.g. Gowers heogloioeter
Standard tube: glycerine jelly colored to correspond to 1% solution of normal blood
Second tube with graduated scale: fixed amount of sample blood; water slowly added to
dilute blood to the color of the standard
o If blood has high levels of HB, a lot of water needs to be added
o If low levels, little water added
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
find more resources at oneclass.com HMED 3075 Lecture Notes: Mon 10/10 Technology and Disease Identity  Lecture: Gender, Disease, and Sexuality in Victorian America  Reading: Keith Wailoo, ▯▯Chlorosis▯ ‘e▯e▯▯ered: Disease a▯d the Moral Ma▯age▯e▯t of A▯eri▯a▯ Wo▯e▯.▯ Technologies of Blood Analysis c. late 19 century  Collecting blood for analysis: o Locate blood vessel, puncture, and withdraw blood o Prick a finger or earlobe Counting blood: Hemocytometer c.1877  Smear blood on microscope slide o Not too tick/thin, no contamination o Skilled work  Hemocytometer o Counting grid part of microscope slide  Count cells in a grid rather than entire slide  Attempt to correlate blood counts with clinical disease Measuring Blood: Hemoglobinometer  Method of estimating amount of hemoglobin in the blood  Compared the color of blood with the color of a known standard  E.g. Gower▯s he▯o▯glo▯i▯o▯eter  Standard tube: glycerine jelly colored to correspond to 1% solution of normal blood  Second tube with graduated scale: fixed amount of sample blood; water slowly added to dilute blood to the color of the standard o If blood has high levels of HB, a lot of water needs to be added o If low levels, little water added find more resources at oneclass.com find more resources at oneclass.com Measuring Blood: Hematocrit:  Collect blood smaple  Spin sample in small tube using centrifuge  Compressed red blood cells at end of tube  Hematocrit o Measure red cells as % of total blood volume o Obtained in 10 mins o No expertise necessary only need centrifuge Identifying white blood cells:  Very difficult to identify white blood cells under the microscope o Far fewer than RBSs o No distinctive pigment o Several different types of white blood cells  Two factors led investigators to study white blood cells: o Pathologists: to understand the meaning of tissues that mde up the human body o Clinicians: could changes in the blood help identify tumors, blood diseases, etc. Identifying Pathological change: Differential blood count  Blood sample on microscope slide  Stain using triacid stain o First used by Paul Ehrlich in 1879 o Disting
More Less
Unlock Document
Start your 2 week free trial

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

Share with your friends

Get 2 friends to sign-up for a free trial as well, and get an additional free week

Next

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit