HMED 3075 Lecture Notes - Lecture 17: Male Contraceptive, Andrology, Determinative

39 views2 pages
26 Nov 2016
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Hhmed 3075 lecture notes 11/21/16 failed medical innovations. Reading: nelly oudshoorn, (cid:862)i(cid:373)agi(cid:374)ed me(cid:374): represe(cid:374)tatio(cid:374)s of mas(cid:272)uli(cid:374)ities i(cid:374) dis(cid:272)ourses o(cid:374) Difficulty intervening in sperm production vs egg production: sociological: Lack of knowledge about male reproduction because of institutional bias in research (gynecology as medical field versus andrology) Absence of consumer demand (not from men, demand came from feminists and the population control movement: cultural: Gendered assumptions about/constructions of the potential end-users and their willingness to use a male contraceptive pill (by scientist, feminists, and journalists) The phase ii study, sept 2008-may 2012. 96% effective: 4 pregnancies among 266 participant couples. 82% males would use again, 80% of female partners. Safety risks (mood changes, depression, pain at injection site, increased libido) outweighed the potential benefits to the study participants. Often not due to purely technological factors-social, cultural, economic, and political factors can be determinative. Does the company have sufficient funds to develop and/or the networks necessary to promote newer technology over previous.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers