Is King guilty of "impiety"? What does he have to say about the role of religion, churches, and
religious leaders and believers in social and political reform?
• calling out the church as barriers to change
• in a way, impious to the sacred aspects of democracy by questioning American's
following of them
• impious to "civic gods" (Jefferson)
• King says the church leaders are being impious by not fully supporting the movement
Is King corrupting the minds of youth?
• riles people up, creates tension
• some blame King for causing violence
Socrates: The unexamined life is not worth living
King: Just as Socrates felt it was necessary to create a tension in the mind . . . so we must
see the need for non-violence gadflies to create the kind of tension in society that will help
men rise from the dark depths of prejudice and racism
Malcolm X: The examined life is painful (does se